Infolinks In Text Ads

Friday, October 10, 2008

Adventures in Eating

This week I asked for chocolate milk... cold. I got a Coke. Yesterday I asked for a lassi, got a rootbeer. When asked for the soups du jour, my server rattled off a list of sounds that could have been in English, Malay or Pashtu for all I knew. I thought I heard the word "beef" in the last choice, I mumbled it back to him, trying to imitate his pronunciation.

Beef tongue soup... wonderful. But hey, I'm a traveler, I'm adventurous, I'm open to these things so I dug right in. It's not horrible, most strange food isn't, but I wished it came with bread, or rice or maybe without beef tongue! It looks hairy on one side and smooth, like squid, on the other.

Halfway through with being halfway through, I had the following thought; in the past months I've had crocodile, kangaroo, monkey, dog, durian, duck embryo, fermented taro root, grasshoppers and water beetles, cobra, intestines of all kinds, dried squid, live ants, century eggs and I'd happily try rat if given the chance. I don't think we need anymore evidence that I'm an adventurous eater! So I did something that I rarely ever do, and paid for my food and left with uneaten food at my table. From now on I'll enunciate when ordering my drinks, and better yet, ask for a menu!

No comments: